Sunday 13 January 2013

My Final Concept


So, FINALLY, this is my final concept:


This is my concept idea for a sculpture. I got the idea for the spiral shape from the basic shape of ‘The Monument to the Third International.’  The idea for the wave came from the Japanese wood-block printing of ‘The Great Wave of Kanagawa’ which admittedly reminded me of a sideways coil, so rather than transforming it into just a coil I turned it vertical to make the ‘storm’ depicted in the print much more menacing.

On the top plate I put a seashell which will open up (due to a mechanism very similar to a cam) to reveal Ariel, the mermaid (the main character in the movie I chose), sitting down in the seashell. Rather than menacing this detail makes it more whimsical. 

So, that’s my final concept. In my next (and final) blog I will be discussing, in detail, how the mechanism will work and what materials I would be using for the sculpture.


No comments:

Post a Comment