Friday 20 December 2013

Design Style or Movement, What's the difference?

Okay so I've been talking a lot about how a design style is different than a design movement and today during a conversation with my friends we were discussing the same thing, so I thought before I continue with the rest of my blogs I decided I would write a short post describing this difference.

Let's start with a design style. A design style is literally a style which was prevalent at the time, so naturally a lot of designers were inspired by it but that doesn't mean that at the start of the style anyone set out to define a new style.

A design movement on the other hand is usually started when a group of artists agrees on a set of rules better known as a manifesto and designs within the context of those rules.

Some examples of Design Movements are: Arts & Crafts, Bauhaus and De Stijl.

while design styles were: Art Nouveau, Pop Design, and Streamlining.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment